Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Favorite Horror Sountracks

As any horror fan knows, the trick to any good horror movie is a great soundtrack. As someone who has way too much useless music on my Mac, I decided to dig through my soundtracks and pick out my favorite scores. I tend to listen to these all year and that is probably why I am single. List after the break.




I can play just about any keyboard but I can't read or write a note. - John Carpenter.



10. The Lost Boys: Various

Ok, so this is not really considered a horror movie by most standards but it had vampires so I threw it in the stew. Growing up on this movie and the score, I can remember listening to it and just loving the album. There are so many good songs on this CD.  It is kind of total cheese, but I loved Cry Little Sister by Gerald McMann. We also have some INXS to spice it up a bit. Random site note: one of the first things I did when moving to SF was make a trip to Santa Cruz to visit the boardwalk used in the movie. It was very surreal. I pretended I was Jason Patric and kept saying "star" over and over. Where was Kiefer by the way?



The rest of the list after the jump.



9. Event Horizon: Michael Kamen, "Orbital" and the London Metropolitan Orchestra

Event Horizon still holds up as a really smart and suspenseful movie. Totally underrated in my opinion. The score was short and sweet but still holds up well. The crazy drum loops and spooky noises during the album still give me the creeps. I recommended this album to a couple fiends friends and they loved it too. The album mixes electronica and those classical strings so well and it makes for an absolutely engaging album.



8. Carrie: Various/Pino Donaggio

Ok, the Carrie soundtrack is not perfect. You know this and I know this as well. There is a bit of 70's cheese floating through the album but I think it adds a bit of color and it works so well in the movie. Pino Donaggio did an amazing job mixing emotion and terror, particularly in that bucket scene. Some of the other tracks have some emotion that really elevates some of the scenes in the movie. Not the best but definitely made the film that much better.



7. Planet Terror: Robert Rodriguez

Planet Terror was not considered great by many horror fans. I dug Robert Rodriguez taking a risk and making a fun and loose film. It never takes itself too seriously and I love that in this film, it works. Well, this is about the score so how does that rate? The movie starts with the most amazing stripper dance scene with Rose McGowan (who I love) and the stripper music just makes the scene amazing. Anytime I watch this movie, I have that opening song stuck in my head. The whole album is great but it mixes sex and tense beats so well. If you have not downloaded this album, I highly suggest getting a copy. Also, the Nouvelle Vague song "Too Drunk To Fuck", perfect way to end the album.




6. The Return Of the Living Dead: Various

Pure 80's punk fun. This album isn't for everyone. If you have seen the movie and love the songs, grab the album.



5. Friday the 13th: Harry Manfredini

Sure, the score everyone knows from FT13th rips off Psycho (or homage, whatever) but it still works in the film. Think about how different the film would be without the score. It works in all the right places. Harry knew when to incorporate the music in the right places. In some movies, they will use the score of when the killer is near for those cheap scare tactics when it's a jump out. In the original FT13th, it was only used when mama Voorhees was taking care of business. If the Platinum Dunes group wanted that remake to work, they should have started with using Harry's score or a variation (among other changes).



4. The Thing: Ennio Morricone

What more can you say about this soundtrack? It works in every way. The soundtrack is perfect. It helps elevate that isolation vibe of the film. I know that Ennio Morricone has been unhappy with JC (John Carpenter, not Jesus Christ) in the past about some issues with the score but I think everyone can agree this is an amazing score. A true classic!



3. The Shining: Various

I had a tough time between The Thing and The Shining but the The Shining won by a hair or hair of the dog as Jack Torrance would say. The soundtrack gives me the tingles and that's when I know it works. Even when listening at home, it just has that creepy vibe that you rarely see anymore. The scene below captures that perfect moment of utter creepy and a perfect score.



2. Halloween: John Carpenter

This movie is on the top list for all horror fans. It has stood the time. Everyone knows the Halloween theme. The genius of the soundtrack is the simplicity. It's not gimmicky or overdone. It's just uncomfortable enough that you know something is wrong. I can't imagine this movie without the score. John once said that he played the film for executives without the score and they didn't think it was scary at all. Proof that a good score is very important in these films. I'm not even going to link to a video since we all know that theme oh so well.

1. Last but certainly not least... A Nightmare on Elm Street: Charles Bernstein

I have listened to this soundtrack over 50 times according to my handy iTunes (sad but true). To me, it matches the movie perfectly. It gives that feeling when listening of pure menace. To be honest, this is the soundtrack that makes me uncomfortable to listen to at home. That's how I know it works.



NOTABLE MENTIONS
  • Alien: Jerry Goldsmith
  • JAWS: John Williams
  • Psycho: Bernard Herrmann, Joel McNeely and Royal Scottish National Orchestra

No comments:

Post a Comment